[EM] Israel, Switzerland...

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Mar 17 16:18:02 PST 2004

Doreen,

 --- Doreen Dotan <dordot2001 at yahoo.com> a écrit : >
> I live under anintrusive, invasive and in many ways oppressive government.  Having lived this
> way for twenty-one years and having had a belly-full of it, I find that the system of government
> of Switzerland more than any other democracy in the West seems to me to be the model we should
> strive to emulate; this despite the "craze" for all things American in this country, which is
> due in large part to American cultural hegemony in Israel.

I didn't quite get what you were saying here, since the U.S. and Switzerland are both
federal systems.  Are you saying you just want the federal government to be quite
weak?

Not being a fan of federalism, particularly in small countries, I have some other thoughts.

1. It is strange that Israel elects the PM directly, who is then responsible to
the legislature.  I can't imagine that this is a good thing.
A link on that topic: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~fredr/isracon.htm

2. If the MPs seem too remote or detached from actual voters, it might be better
for Israel to use some proportional method other than a closed party list.  STV,
or party list with SNTV, would give voters more control over who gets seated.  In
any case I would lower the district magnitude, though.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr