[EM] District continuity preserving re-districting

Niemzinski at ecybermind.net Niemzinski at ecybermind.net
Sun Mar 14 20:28:04 PST 2004

 Quoting Ernest Prabhakar <drernie at mac.com>:

> Using existing census data, one could trivially create open source
> software that would suggest possible districts.  Anyone could submit
> potential redistricting, and  and one could have a university collect
> and publish the results based on objectively verifiable criteria.   I
> suppose one could even add a third measure of 'minimal population
> transfers' to reward proposals that minimized discontinuities, if the
> first two weren't definitive enough.

As far as I can see there is no advantage for open source over propriety
software here.  All we are interested in is the best legal districting.  How it
was obtained/calculated is of no interest to the public or the government.
Nevertheless, it may be usefull to have such open source software for
experimentation.