[EM] Another IRV failure

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Wed Mar 10 09:08:02 PST 2004

At 9:06 AM -0500 3/10/04, Ken Taylor wrote:
>Basically, what happens if you run the IRV until you have 3 candidates left,
>two of which are tied for last place? If you eliminate both, you're
>basically selecting the winner without looking at any next-choice votes,
>eliminating any benefit that IRV may have, and also picking a winner without
>a "majority" to support him or her. But which one of the last-place
>candidates you choose to eliminate could drastically affect the outcome of
>the election depending on what their next-choice votes were.

Agreed.

IRV supporters seem to agree that only one should be eliminated. Two
methods I have had mentioned to me were:

1. Simply pick one at random

2. Look at the vote totals for the tied candidates in the previous
round and eliminate the one with the fewest votes. If they are tied
in the previous round, go back one more, etc.. until you find a round
where one has the fewest votes. If you go all the way back, then just
choose randomly. (This method is used by http://demochoice.org)

What makes this particularly interesting then is that with random
selections, IRV has the potential to select different winners if the
same data was run through it multiple times.

Has anyone else come across any 'official' suggestions on how to deal
with the situation of two or more candidates tied with least votes?
...not at all an uncommon situation in various data sets I've looked
at.

The other interesting thing that I have learned about IRV recently is
the odd way it treats equally ranked ballots.

Basically, if you have a ranking:

   A=B>C

You only contribute .5 to the vote total for A & B in the first
round...in otherwords, you are punished for believing that two
candidates are essentially the same and ranking them that way.

This essentially forces the voter into an undesirable situation of
strictly ranking all candidates being given relief only when they've
decided they've had enough and truncate the rest...potentially
loosing their voice in later rounds.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu