[EM] Request for help: complex election

Nikhil Nair nnair at pobox.com
Tue Mar 9 09:25:02 PST 2004

James,

Thanks for going to the trouble of explaining STV-PR to me.

While this is certainly interesting, and may well be a better system than
typically used in common political elections, I don't think this is the
solution I'm looking for.

Combining the two elections is exactly what the Board has decided is
necessary.  The question I'm asking is not whether to do this, but how to
do it.  If using STV would require complex rules, then, frankly, it's a
non-starter: even if I understand it, it wouldn't have a hope of being
approved by the AGM.  Besides, getting the most representative Board is
not really the issue: we generally don't have enough high-quality
candidates to even start to talk about representation of all views... and
that's why I said we'd rather elect fewer than 4, rather than getting
those which either Council or membership dont' rate at all.

If anyone is willing to have a serious look at my original email, or even
tell me where else I can get expert advice on such things, I really would
appreciate it.

Cheers,

Nikhil.