[EM] Request for help: complex election

Nikhil Nair nnair at pobox.com
Tue Mar 9 07:00:03 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, James Gilmour wrote:

> > A British charity that I chair is looking for a new election
> > method for its Board of Trustees.  The scenario is a little
> > more complex than typical political elections, and I haven't
> > been able to find anything on how this should be tackled.
>
> You should use STV-PR for the two separate elections.

Really?  Why do you advocate this approach?

I was under the impression that PR wouldn't be appropriate in the absence
of parties; was I wrong?

Of course, the real issue I raised was that we wanted one combined
election, rather than two separate ones.  How were you proposing we come
up with a final result, from the two separate ones?

Cheers,

Nikhil.