[EM] Arrow's axioms

Ken Johnson kjinnovation at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 5 22:32:02 PST 2004

>Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:38:59 +0100 (CET)
>From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Kevin=20Venzke?= <stepjak at yahoo.fr>
>
>I should have been clearer.  You said that "if the theorem were generalized
>to encompass cardinal methods, its conclusion would be that rank methods cannot
>satisfy the axioms whereas CR can."  This is strange because Arrow's conclusion
>*already* includes that non-rank methods could meet all of *the other three*
>axioms.

Kevin,

Maybe I don't understand the theorem. (Most of what I know about it
comes from the popular media, like Scientific American, which tends to
oversimplify things.) My impression was that Arrow stipulated several
basic criteria that any "reasonable" social choice system should
satisfy, with one criterion being that it be based on ranked preferences
and the other criteria being stated in terms that only apply to rank
methods. The theorem's conclusion is basically that ranked methods
cannot satisfy all the remaining criteria, but my impression was that it
does not address the question of whether cardinal methods could satisfy
those criteria. (Although the formal statement of the criteria such as
IIA may technically only apply to rank methods, they could be easily
generalized to be meaningful in the context of cardinal methods.)

The main objection I have to the theorem is the way it is popularly
portrayed as proving the fundamental inadequacy of ALL voting systems,
whereas in fact it doesn't (I don't think) say anything about cardinal
methods.

Ken Johnson