[EM] Arrow's axioms

Philippe Errembault phil.errembault at skynet.be
Fri Mar 5 20:29:02 PST 2004

Hi Forest,

> But Arrow does require transitivity in the partial orderings,
> which excludes ballots of the form A > B > C > A,
> which is quite compatible with human nature.

Just try to order all your friends by preference, and you will see that human nature preferences are not transitive by essence.

> One way to break the cycle is to try to quantify location along with
> price and size, and then assign weights according to the relative
> importance of price, location, and size to you, the potential buyer.

Yes, this is one way to do it. but this is nothing natural. this is just a way to force taking a decision. that's all.

This is precisely because Arrow requires thing that are non-natural to people that I believe that he also can't require it from
group of people.

Philippe