[EM] Real IRV Ranked Ballots

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Mar 5 16:50:01 PST 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Markus Schulze wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> Eric wrote (2 March 2004):
> > I am currently in communication with a dedicated IRV supporter
> > who may be claiming that they would move away from IRV if a
> > real example could be given where IRV selected an obviously
> > wrong winner.
>
> Actually, I believe that it is quite impossible to use examples
> to demonstrate that a given election method is lousy.

Another practically insuperable difficulty is that different election
methods elicit different insincere rankings from the voters. For example
you would probably vote differently under IRV, Ranked Pairs, and Borda,
unless the voting was done under zero information conditions, which is
unlikely in real life examples.