[EM] Real Ballot Data & Analysis

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Fri Mar 5 15:32:02 PST 2004

Eric Gorr wrote:
> I am sure others are aware of this data, but I just got my hands on
> it and spent some time analyzing it with single winner methods.
> Apparently in Dr. Tideman's research into voting methods, he was able
> to obtain many (86) ranked ballots from elections held in England.

I don't know how it will affect your analyses (but I think it will), but you should be aware that
some of the ballots in the dataset Tideman obtained from the UK (not just elections in England) may
have been for STV-PR multi-member elections, not single-winner elections.  All were preferential
vote elections, with no equality of preferences.  It MAY not affect the conclusions of the
single-winner analyses you wish to do, but voters do vote differently in single-member elections and
multi-member elections where some parties put up more than one candidate.  If these ballots come
from the dataset I think they do, much of those data were machine-generated (reconstructed) from
election result sheets, ie they are not actual voters' ballots.
James