[EM] Real IRV Ranked Ballots

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Fri Mar 5 09:50:01 PST 2004

At 12:37 PM -0500 3/5/04, Adam Tarr wrote:
>Other than giving the lib dems a bit more first place support than
>they usually do, this is a stock example, something you could
>probably find in a real British election.

I may have found such data from a real British elections.
See my posting on the data I obtained from Dr. Tideman.

Feel free to verify my results from beginning to end, starting with
the elections which produced different winner(s) then RP(d-wv).

>Ask him/her, at what point did the example become unrealistic?

I did.

The answer they came back with was they do not believe the flaw has
ever occurred in actual practice and will only accept real data as
evidence.

So, basically avoided the question...

>At some point, either the person you're talking to will recognize
>how tortured their logic is,

This is my hope.

Although, they don't seem to recognize that their belief that the
flaw has never happened is irrelevant unless they wish to argue that
it will never or can never happen.

>or you will recognize that the person you're talking to simply does
>not want to change their mind.

Which is probably the case, but if nothing else, it is still useful
to speak with such people and discover how they attempt to argue
their ultimately indefensible case.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu