[EM] Simulation results (Approval, utility, Schulze "efficiency)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Mar 5 08:36:03 PST 2004

Richard,

 --- Richard Moore <moore3t1 at cox.net> a écrit :
> Kevin,
>
> Can your sims compare approval results for cases where the ranked
> voting produces cycles, vs. cases where there are no cycles?

It finds whether there is a CW, although that's not reflected in the stats.
So it would be easy to make the simulation ignore cases where there is a CW,
or where there isn't.  Do you suppose such results would be interesting?

> "It's surely a fluke that "Two Evils" outperforms "Zero-Info" here.
> "I have to doubt that random information could be better than none at
> "all.
>
> It comes as no surprise that zero-info performed about as well as
> Schulze in terms of average utility. Also in average utility terms,
> "two evils" performed worse than zero-info, also no surprise. The
> results you refer to simply mean that the former will pick the Schulze
> winner more often than the latter, but when either one misses the
> Schulze winner, zero-info strategy is more likely to result in an
> average utility improvement over Schulze than "two evils" is.

I agree with that.  But it still seems odd that random information should
lead to (slightly) higher Schulze efficiency.

> I expect a majority of voters to favor the Schulze winner over at
> least one of the "two evils", except on occasion when there are cycles
> of 4 (or larger).

I think this makes sense to me.

> But I also expect "two evils" to cause fewer voters
> to approve the utility maximizer (and fewer voters to disapprove the
> utility minimizer) than zero info would, when the utility maximizer is
> not the Schulze winner.
>
> I hope that makes sense.

I don't quite understand why you say this last part.

Thanks for the reply.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr