Manually counting IRV (was RE: Truncated preferences ok for Condorcet (was Re: [EM] Ignorance))

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 14:24:04 PST 2004

Steve Eppley wrote:
> That's true, except there's no need to count the ballots in
> each pile.  It's quicker to compare the heights of each
> pile by eye to see which is shortest, unless the shortest
> piles are very similar to each other in height, in which
> case you might want to count the shortest piles if the
> group is concerned with accuracy.

Now I understand why there are problems with public elections in the USA!!
Nothing other than full counting of every bundle of ballot papers would ever be accepted here in the
UK.
Electoral Reform Society procedure requires a sort and a check sort followed by a count and check
count on each bundle (usually 50 or 100 papers, depending on the size of the election).
James