Truncated preferences ok for Condorcet (was Re: [EM] Ignorance)

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 3 12:21:03 PST 2004

James Gilmour asked:
> Steve Eppley wrote:
> -snip-
> > Well, that's all I know about arguments against allowing
> > truncation.  Perhaps others will be able to add more.
>
> Are you suggesting voters should be forced to express
> preferences they do not have?  James

No, I was answering Augustin's question by mentioning some
BAD arguments I've heard about forcing voters to express
preferences they do not have.

I believe it's best to allow voters to express any
ordering, not necessarily strict, and to allow them to
truncate their preferences if that can reduce the tedium of
ranking a huge number of alternatives.  See the Feasibility
criterion, the Minimal Defense criterion, and the
Truncation Resistance criterion described in my website.
(http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley)