[EM] Real IRV Ranked Ballots

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Mar 2 15:38:26 PST 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:44:56 -0500 Eric Gorr wrote in part:

> Through my efforts to get out there an advocate for both Approval and
> good Condorcet Methods (MAM, etc.), I am currently in communication with
> a dedicated IRV supporter who may be claiming that they would move away
> from IRV if a real example could be given where IRV selected an
> obviously wrong winner.
>
> In the meantime, they have stated:
>
>> I believe Ireland and Australia report full ranked
>> ballots.
>

> Can anyone verify this or submit any proof that it is not true?

I would not plan on anyone providing statistics that prove their system is
weak - I do not see either IRV or Condorcet counters providing statistics
that would show what the other system would do with their ballots - they
do not need such numbers to complete their own counting.

Could be, someday, someone counts both ways - but chances are that
election would not have any problems.

> If anyone has more realistic examples where IRV selects an extremely
> poor winner, I would be interested.

I will dress up the example I created and like, as best I can:

40 A - A backers are homogenous and care nothing beyond heir first choice.
29 B - Also homogenous behind a stable candidate.
29 C,B - C has convinced a LOT of Bs that he has BETTER ideas - but these
Bs STILL like B better than A.
02 absentee, not yet counted when polls close.

Now the absentees both turn out to be:
      B - and both methods agree C is to be ignored and B wins.
      C,B - AND:
           IRV decides B is to be ignored, after which A beats C and 60
voters are ready to riot if they get to hear what happened.
           Condorcet sees a cycle of near ties:  B>A, A>C, C>B.  At 31>29,
C>B is the weakest link, leaving B as winner over A.

Among the discussion points:
      How does IRV justify giving A a win, when most voters agree B is better?
      Could be A is anti-abortion and B is prochoice.  C agrees with B as
to prochoice but disagrees with B as to some social security detail.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.