[EM] Re: Election-methods digest, Vol 1 #552 - 6 msgs

Doreen Dotan dordot2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 17 05:17:02 PST 2004

election-methods-electorama.com-request at electorama.com wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Ken Johnson wrote:

>>It may be that majority rule is preferable, but as illustrated above it
>>is clearly not self-evident that majority rule is always preferable.
>>Therefore majority rule should not be posited axiomatically; it needs to
>>be justified on the basis of a more fundamental statement of "the goal
>>of single-winner voting".
>>
>A more fundamental goal might be to go with the choice that would be
>acceptable to the greatest number of voters.
>

>By way of analogy, which is better, an economic system that makes 51% of
>the people rich and relegates the other 49% to abject poverty, or a system
>that makes 90% of the population comfortable, and still provides for the
>basic needs of the other 10%?
>
>Forest

I am wont to agree with Ken that the *complete* fulfilling of the desire of the majority as the fundamental goal of elections should neither be posited axiomatically, nor accepted as attainable.

Forest's first part of the analogy above is not an accurate depiction the outcome of current elections.  I assume he intentionally phrased the analogy in a simplistic and exaggerated way in order to make his point. Even those whose preferred candidate wins are hardly entirely delighted with him, nor are all of those who "lost" the election completely dissatisfied with the performance of their new head of gov't.

The second part of Forest's analogy above is a realistic depiction of the possible, although I think that the percentages may be a bit too optimistic.

I think an in-depth analysis of just what percentages of the populace would get a candidate they can live with as a result of AV or other election methods should be investigated seriously.

I recently came across a reminder of advice that some mothers gave to their daughters.  It is: "Don't marry a man you can live with.  Marry a man you can't live without." As every wise woman knows two years after the wedding you're much better off with a man you can live with.  I think the same is true for politicians two years after elections.

Doreen

Do you Yahoo!?