[EM] Clarification of term

Doreen Dotan dordot2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 15:40:02 PST 2004

B"H

James (sorry, I'm not sure which one) wrote:

Even if it were possible to "do the the whole Knesset in one
district", I would most strongly advise
> against it.  The underlying problems with politics in Israel are
exacerbated by the large number of
> very small parties that gain seats in the Knesset.  A district
magnitude of 120 (all the members)
> would make this even worse than at present, when it is constrained
(to a small extent) by the 1.5%
> threshold.  Districts based on some "natural" communities within the
national boundary would deal
> with that without the need for an artificial threshold.  There is
more to electing an effective
> parliament than simply securing party PR.
> James

Please define "district magnitude" amd "district" as used in the passage above.  Sorry for the elementary questions.

Doreen

Do you Yahoo!?