[EM] Another IRV failure

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Tue Mar 9 08:44:02 PST 2004

First, is there an official method for how to deal with the case
where two or more candidates are tied for least votes? My current
implementation throws them all out at the same time, but I have seen
another implementation (demochoice.org) which selects one at a time.

Found another IRV Failure.

The WebSite http://www.demochoice.org is setup to run IRV style
elections a complete set of ranked ballots for a sub-set of the
elections completed by his site are available at:

   http://www.demochoice.org/baldump.php

For the single winner cases, I ran the RP(d-wv) and IRV resolution methods.
In the case:

   What party do you know least about? - 77 Votes

IRV failed in a rather interesting way.

There is a Condorcet Winner for this case and a unique (transitive)
social ordering.

The social ordering is:

6 - -CANDIDATE- American Reform Party
1 - -CANDIDATE- Constitution Party
0 - -CANDIDATE- Natural Law Party
5 - -CANDIDATE- Reform Party
2 - -CANDIDATE- Libertarian Party
3 - -CANDIDATE- Green Party
4 - -CANDIDATE- Democratic Party
7 - -CANDIDATE- Republican Party

The American Reform Party is the "winner" for:

http://condorcet.ericgorr.net/
Basic Condorcet
Beatpath Winner
Ranked Pairs (Deterministic #1-Winning Votes)

http://cec.wustl.edu/~rhl1/rbvote/calc.html
Baldwin
Black
Borda
Copeland
Dodgson
LeGrand
Nanson
Raynaud
Schulze
Simpson
Small
Tideman

http://www.duniho.com/remote-mamcalc.php
MAM

This social ordering is believable as one would expect the Democratic
& Republican parties to be ranked last with the Libertarian Party and
Green Party ranked just above them and the remaining parties ranked
even higher.

Since there is no reasonable expectation that the ballots cast were
anything less then sincere, it would also seem reasonable to assume
that for this single-winner case, Condorcet methods would be
applicable.

Based on:

http://www.demochoice.org/dcresults.php?poll=TBRAI#Round1

The order of defeats for IRV is:

Reform
Libertarian
Republican
Natural Law
Democratic
American Reform
Green
Constitution

The Constitution party is the "winner"...

IRV and Plurality are the only methods, based on the voting
calculators I am aware of, which select the Constitution Party.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu