Truncated preferences ok for Condorcet (was Re: [EM] Ignorance)

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 3 09:02:01 PST 2004

Hi,
Several days ago, Augustin asked:
-snip-
>         a couple of weeks ago I wrote to this
> list asking for your help especially in regard to some
> theories that are behind the decisions I have made when
> developing the site.
>
> The only help I received was in the form of welcome
> criticism behind the theoretical choices behind my
> decisions which were made, again, out of ignorance.
> My reply is currently available online:
> http://www.masquilier.org/republic/election/solution.php
>
> I haven't yet received a definite answer in this matter
> and I am asking you again to enlighten me.
>
> The board I am developing has its origin in this discussion
> thread:
> http://forums.zynot.org/viewtopic.php?t=56
> In it, Charun argues vehemently that for Condorcet to retain
> its validity/superiority, all the candidates must be
> strictly ranked from the first to the last.
-snip-

I read the message thread that Augustin cited.  Based on
Charun's last message in that thread, I would not
characterize Charun as insisting that Condorcet voting
requires each vote to be a strict ordering.  He seemed
uncertain about the relative merits, and called it a
"hybrid" to allow votes to be non-strict orderings (that
is, allowing truncation and allowing equally-ranked
candidates) and claimed that therefore it should not be
called Condorcet.

It seems to me (and I'm sure to most of us) that allowing
votes to be non-strict orderings is fully deserving of the
name Condorcet and should not be called a "hybrid."  For
one thing, it satisfies the Condorcet criterion and the top
cycle criterion.  My website lists quite a few criteria
satisfied by the Condorcetian method I think is best, which
allows votes to express indifference and truncate. (The
website also provides proofs of satisfaction.  The proofs
use mathematical symbols from the Microsoft symbol font, so
I'm curious to know whether a GNU/Linux user like Augustin
can easily display them.  Someday I'll translate them into
pdf format, which should take care of any font problems.)

I can think of three possible explanations for Charun's
belief that strict orderings are required.  The first is
that much of the social choice literature seeks to simplify
the discussion by assuming votes are strict orderings.  Not
as a criterion that should be satisfied, but to make their
analyses and proofs simpler to write and read.  An unwary
reader might get the idea that they had a compelling reason
to restrict our attention to strict orderings.

The second is that some social choice theorists make the
assumption that each voter's preferences are strict
preferences, which would mean expressions of indifference
are strategic rather than sincere.  They reason that such
strategies can be eliminated at no cost by requiring each
vote to be a strict ordering.  What they've neglected is
the possibility that strategic indifference may be
benevolent.  The thread already made clear that one of the
gains of allowing indifference is to remove the tedium of
expressing a strict ordering that includes every candidate.
(Allowing truncation is part of what's needed to satisfy my
feasibility criterion, which is defined at my website.)
Another gain is satisfaction of the minimal defense
criterion (which is also defined at my website; it's based
on Mike Ossipoff's "strong defensive strategy" criterion.)

The third explanation is a hold-over from elections that
tally Instant Runoff (or the proportional representation
version, Single Transferable Vote) by hand.  To quickly
tally Instant Runoff by hand:

   Distribute the ballots into piles, each according to
   its top-ranked candidate.  From the height of each pile,
   you can see at a glance which pile has the fewest
   ballots.  So, if there are more than two piles, take
   the shortest pile, eliminate its candidate, and
   redistribute its ballots to other piles according to
   their highest-ranked non-eliminated candidate.
   Repeatedly eliminate & redistribute the shortest pile
   in this way until only two piles remain and elect the
   candidate of the taller pile.

If ballots express indifference, it would be hard to tally
the election since such a ballot would either have to be
split or cloned in order to be placed in more than one
pile. (And care would need to be taken to unsplit when
redistributing a pile containing a piece, or to destroy
rather than redistribute clones until all but one of the
clone ballots has been destroyed.)  So it was a matter of
reducing the tallying labor, for elections that haven't yet
reached the computer age.  Also, if ballots truncate, then
the winner's final count might not be an absolute majority,
so advocates of Instant Runoff would have to revise one of
their misleading claims about electing "the" candidate
preferred by a majority. (I put "the" in quotes because in
reality there are multiple simultaneous majorities.
Instant Runoff merely guarantees that the winner isn't a
Condorcet Loser, which is an alternative such that, for
every other alternative, some majority ranked the other
alternative over it.)

Well, that's all I know about arguments against allowing
truncation.  Perhaps others will be able to add more.