[EM] Nader could designate same electors as Kerry

John Hicks johnlist at gulfbridge.net
Wed Jun 30 20:48:07 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 11:20 am, MIKE OSSIPOFF
wrote:
> So there's sure to be an argument that that
> same-electors arrangement is illegal.
> If so, then the wording of the Consititution
> should be checked out.
> Maybe it says that a candidate can designate
> any electors s/he wants to.

By luck, and through sources that I dare not name, I
have been given access to a copy of the document in
question and am thus able to answer your question:

It turns out that it doesn't say anything about a
candidate designating electors at all. Rather . . .

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the
Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors,
equal to the whole Number of Senators and
Representatives to which the State may be entitled in
the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or
Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the
United States, shall be appointed an Elector."

So it is up to the legislature of each state to
determine a method of appointing its electors.

I would think that one would have to look at the
relevant legislation in each state to determine if the
"same-electors" approach would work in that state. My
gut tells me that it's unlikely it could be pulled off
in all 50 states but it just might be possible in one
or two states.

And that alone would make for a very interesting election
night.

John Hicks