[EM] Margins

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Jun 21 00:02:02 PDT 2004

Dave,

--- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 03:46:48 +0200 (CEST) Kevin Venzke continued insisting
> that WV is the same as Margins except that:
>       Margins counts explicit and implied equality,
>       While WV does not.
>
> So I quote his Jan post below, which agrees with my memory on this detail:
>       WV simply uses winners' vote counts in resolving cycles.
>       Margins requires an extra subtraction step to determine margin
> between winner's vote count and loser's vote count.

Either works.  The subtraction step gives the same results as though you had
counted half-votes.

> I argue that explicit equal ranking should be included in WV to make these
> counts comparable as related to voters' intent.
>
> I argue that counting equal ranking has no value in margins since it would
> not affect the margins, BUT would do the same counting as for WV for
> consistency.

Counting half-votes: Doesn't affect the margins
Counting no votes: Doesn't affect the margins

So you DO realize that your count rule, with a Margins "interpretation of
the counts," gives exactly the same winners as Margins?

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr