[EM] Margins

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Jun 20 18:48:01 PDT 2004

Dave,

--- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> If margins was the same as WV, WHY would the two names exist, or rouse the
> debate they have caused?

I didn't say Margins is the same as WV.  Where do you think I said that Margins
is the same as WV?

If you define a method in this way:

"Do everything like in WV, except also give half-votes for equal rankings and
truncation,"

Then this method gives exactly the same results as Margins.  Because what makes
WV different from Margins is the way that equal-ranking and truncation are
handled.  There is no other difference between them.

Also, these two methods give exactly the same results:

1. "Do everything like in WV, except also use Dave's preferred count rule."
2. "Do everything like in Margins, except also use Dave's preferred count rule."

And they give the same results because your preferred count rule is a complete
replacement for WV or Margins.

> Why have YOU changed your opinion since January, when you called WV
> preferable (and therefore different from margins)?

I have not changed my opinion.  WV is preferable to and different from Margins,
in my opinion.

But WV-Ketchum is not preferable to or different from Margins-Ketchum.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr