[EM] equal rankings IRV

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Jun 13 15:06:02 PDT 2004

For what follows voting is:
  1 X (A or B or C)
  3 D
  3 T (troublemakers)

Without equal rankings T votes are scattered to A, B, C, and D wins

With equal rankings whole votes, T votes are A=B=C and the X vote defines
the winner (who gets 4 votes).

With equal rankings fractional votes, T votes are A=B=C and D wins.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:23:13 +0100 James Gilmour wrote:

> James Green-Armytage wrote:
>
>>	Once again, in the whole votes version, if I equally
>>rank A B and C (in first place, for example), my vote will
>>count as a whole vote for each of those candidates in the
>>first round.
>>

> So if you do this but I do not, you get three votes while I get only one?

So the extra muscle encourages abuse.

>>In the fractional votes version, my vote will
>>count as 1/3 of a vote for each of them at first, then when
>>one is eliminated, 1/2 for the remaining two, and later as a
>>single whole vote for whoever lasts the longest.
>>

> Now everyone has only one vote.

Looks fair and workable for local elections such as one precinct.

A mess to get together all the individual ballots when electing a
governor, but even without this, IRV needs details as to order of ranking.

> James Gilmour

So, aside from not liking IRV, I DO NOT like adding this complication to it.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.