[EM] Top Three Condorcet

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Jun 12 17:52:02 PDT 2004

It's somewhat traditional for the inventor to name the invention.  But I'm
open to suggestion.

There's a great Dr. Suess story in which Mrs. McCave had twenty-three sons
and named them all "Dave."  It lists all of the names that she could have
used, ending, "... and one of them BuckBuckMcFate, but she didn't do it,
and now it's too late."

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> HELP:  Need some input for the Jargon Dictionary - Who is right, Forest or
> myself?

What does this have to do with any Jargon Dictionary?  You can classify an
object by genus and phylum, and even give it a Latin name reflecting that
classification if you want, but that won't change its given name.

> Forest is proposing a "class of methods" (see below) in which the ballots
> include both rankings, as we expect for Condorcet, AND ratings or grades,
> as are used in some other methods.

Each such method has a final Condorcet step whose only input is the voter
rankings of the candidates.

>   I do not object to his offering a class of methods - that is expected in
> EM and, occasionally, something good comes of it, BUT:
>       Forest uses "Condorcet" in the group name.

If I were picky, I could object to your use of "group" for "class" but I
know what you mean.

>       I claim that word should be reserved for methods using the ranked
> ballots I (and others) expect for Condorcet methods.

It seems to me that if an important ingredient of object X is an idea of
Condorcet (an idea universally associated with his name), then an
ingredient of the name of object X should be "Condorcet" both to honor his
memory and to give credit where credit is due.

It would be rather arrogant of me to call them "Top Three Simmons"
methods, when Condorcet deserves most of the credit.

I don't see any TM (trade mark) attached to the name Condorcet, so until
Condorcet himself objects, or until someone offers a name that I like
better, or until some name is adopted by universal acclamation, I'll
probably stick with "Top three Condorcet."

Of course, there's always BuckBuckMcFate :-)

Forest