[EM] Plurality is not a "yes/no voting system"

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Tue Jun 8 20:12:05 PDT 2004

Dear Adam,

I back off on calling plurality a "rank system of depth one" for the same
reason you dislike calling Approval a Cardinal Ratings system. However I
still will defend calling plurality a "one vote" system.

Plurality and runoffs (and Random ballot) don't need a checkbox-column style
ballot. They CAN be implemented by voters offering a single name on a
ballot. Similarly they can work without paper by voters using their bodies
as ballots, moving around a room and joining a single group based on their
vote decision. Plurality require voters to make a single choice - one of N
options at a time. There's no multiple votes, no split votes - just one
simple vote.

I define "One vote" methods are methods that allow a single name to be
written on a ballot. That is very well defined I must think. How can anyone
deny this category as unique? Even if the category is limited in possible
methods, it deserves recognition.

In regards to the page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_system#Single_Winner_Systems

I believe "Approval" should be moved to "Ratings". I agree it is nice
Approval can fit nicely under existing checkbox ballot format. However I
don't necessarily think Approval is best implemented as a single-column
"checkbox" ballot. I think approval better fits under a "radio-button"
ballot, with your actual 2 column YES/NO ballot and allow explicit marks
under either category. That makes more sense to me to help voters see what
they are doing.

Either of the following ballots can be approval, but the second is more
clearly an approval ballot:

CHECKBOX Ballot:
---------------------------
(Vote for approved candidates, as many as you like)
Vote Candidate
  O   Apple
  O   Banana
  O   Coconut
---------------------------

APPROVAL Ballot:
---------------------------
(Mark one answer per candidate. Mark yes for approved candidates)
(A "No" vote is counted, if candidate is unmarked)
No Yes  Candidate
O   O    Apple
O   O    Banana
O   O    Coconut
---------------------------

Then you can consider 3 catagories with scores {-1,0,+1} equally well.
RATING Ballot:
---------------------------
(Mark one answer per candidate, No for disapproval, Acceptable for
neutrality, and Yes for Approval)
(A "Maybe" vote is counted, if candidate is unmarked)
No Acceptable Yes  Candidate
O         O           O    Apple
O         O           O    Banana
O         O           O    Coconut
---------------------------

Notice that the ballot might have different possible "default" scores if a
candidate is unmarked, "Maybe=0" is default in this case, but not the
minimum possible score.

Alternately a rating ballot might REQUIRE all candidates be marked as a
feedback check to aid votes from accidentally undervoting.

I think ballots that allow one column for every possible mark are more clear
how to vote, and the extra ability to check for under votes can be useful.

My single-winner voting method categories remain:

1. One vote system - vote for one candidate at a time
FORMAT: PREMADE BALLOTS HAVE COLUMN OF CANDIDATES, CHECKBOX BY EACH
VOTE FOR AT MOST ONE
    Plurality count - one vote, add votes for winner
    Random ballot - one vote, pick one ballot randomly for winner
    Runoff - 2 or more rounds with or without elimination

2. Ranking vote systems - rank candidates first, second, third...
FORMAT: PREMADE BALLOTS HAVE N CHECKBOX COLUMNS FOR N RANKS
VOTE FOR ONE CANDIDATE PER RANK COLUMN, NO MORE THAN ONE MARK PER CANDIDATE
    Borda count - assign points on ranking, add for winner
    Sequential rounds - no more than N counting rounds
        IRV - elimination runoff
        Coombs - elimination disapproval runoff
        Bucklin - approval runoff
    Pairwise rounds  - N*(N-1)/2 counting rounds
        Condorcet
            Variations...

3. Rating vote systems - independent points assigned to each candidate
FORMAT: PREMADE BALLOTS HAVE N COLUMNS FOR N RATINGS
VOTE FOR ONE CHOICE FOR EACH CANDIDATE
    Approval count - vote no/yes, assign 0 or 1 points, add for winner
    Cardinal Ratings count - vote whole numbers, example 0,1,2,3,..,10. Add
for winner

All three of these categories are distinct in ballots and voting rules.

You can consider tied-rankings in category two (or split-vote ties) in
category one as well. I wrote the "VOTE" rules to restrict this out of
simplicity and a desire to reduce accidental misvotes. I like the option of
tied votes in many systems, but I don't think it is essential. A system that
can catch bad votes and allow voters to vote again is superior to adding
special counting rules for tied rankings/votes.

Tom Ruen

P.S. I inserted limited comments below...