[EM] MAM definitions

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Jun 7 13:52:02 PDT 2004

Hi,

Mike O wrote:
> Of course I don't speak for Steve, but it's my understanding
> that MAM is used in 2 ways:  As a synonym for Ranked
> Pairs(wv).  And, more specifically, as Ranked-Pairs(wv),
> with equal-defeats dealt with by considering them in
> random order.
>
> I believe that the 2nd definition, the more specific one,
> is how Steve defines MAM.

It's somewhat misleading to say MAM considers equal-size
majorities in random order.  The randomness in MAM's
tiebreaker is in the order ballots are randomly picked,
one at a time, as many as necessary to construct a strict
ordering of the alternatives--only one ballot would be
picked if the first one picked is a strict ordering
of the alternatives--which is then used to break ties.
(See my website at www.alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley for
the details on how this tiebreaking ordering of the
alternatives is used by MAM to break ties among equal-
size majorities.)

Also, that strict ordering of the alternatives may be used
as a tiebreaker at the end, if more than one alternative
is not the less-preferred alternative of any affirmed
majority.

It would be simpler to just randomly sort the equal-size
majorities, but that would sacrifice some criteria
compliance unnecessarily, for instance complete
independence of clone alternatives.

> The random solution is probably the best, in terms of
> criteria compliances, for the overall method consisting
> of RP + equal-defeats solution.
>
> To me, if it takes a tie to make a method violate a criterion,
> that doesn't seem as important as other violations of that
> criterion. So I'm satisfied with deterministic solutions
> for equal defeats.

I would be satisfied too, except that I expect these voting
methods will need to thoroughly tested in small groups
before they will be accepted by the public for large
elections.  In small groups, ties will be much much
more common.

I think it's misleading to describe as deterministic the
voting methods that may require tiebreaking at the end,
if the tiebreaker used at the end is not deterministic.

(How's it going, Mike?  Sorry I've been so unproductive
lately.)

--Steve