[EM] IMHO, IRV superior to approval

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 6 19:35:01 PDT 2004

Adam Tarr a écrit :

> Steph wrote:

> >If your ballot is exhausted it is because you decided not to provide a
> >full ranking.
> >It is your choice not a fact inherent to the electoral method.
>
> Approving of both or neither of the final two candidates in approval is a
> choice not inherent in the method, as well.

With IRV, a voter can make sure its preference will count when only two
candidates are left at the last round.  With Olli's sequential equivalent
version
of approval, voters cannot be sure they will participate in that last selection

because they do not know in advance who will be the last contenders.
In my eye, approving of both or neither of the final two candidates in approval
is not a
choice, it's a guess. And that is inherent to approval. With approval, the
voter needs to
guess in which pairwise comparison its participation will most make a
difference (and puts
the cut-off there).