[EM] IMHO, IRV superior to approval

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Sat Jun 5 14:17:01 PDT 2004

Stephane Rouillon wrote:

>Above all, I agree there are some differences between "equal power to
>voters" and
>
>"1-person 1-vote". I agree too that "1-person 1-vote" is a fuzzy concept
>hard to
>generalize
>to electoral methods other than FPTP.
>
>Now, I partially disagree with Adams in his analysis. But maybe it's my
>understanding which is erroneous...

I think so, and I think I understand your confusion:

>These versions are not totally equivalent in my eye if you consider using the
>precedent round as an information input to guide your next round rankings.
>As Mike Ossipoff would say, the level of information can affect -wise and
>unwise- unsincere rankings.

The method of evaluating approval ballots I mention here does NOT require
multiple balloting.  The voter does NOT have a chance to change who they
approve.  The ballot is submitted once, just as in IRV, and the ballot is
then used to decide the voters preferences in each round, again, just as in
IRV.  Yet the resuly will always be the same as regular approval.

>I agree with you. The IRV (one ballot version) would not. The IRV run-off
>version
>when you ask back voters their choice at every round would. But again you
>are right
>saying "1-p 1-v" can be defined many ways.

Again, I have never proposed a system in this thread where the voters are
asked back to vote again.  Their votes in each elimination round are based
on their initial ballots, and nothing more.

What I have done in this thread is make versions of IRV and approval that
were EXACTLY equivalent to regular IRV and approval, yet the mechanical
approach to the two methods appeared almost identical to each other.

> > Quite simply, there is no way to define 1P-1V on the overall election
> > method (a function from voted ballots to a winning candidate) such that IRV
> > passes and Approval fails.
>
>Depends of the IRV version, but I may be wrong.

Well, that's the point, isn't it?  If a method can be changed to pass or
fail a criteria without actually changing its input or results, then that
criteria is meaningless.

-Adam