[EM] Re: Approval is not one person one vote

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Sat Jun 5 19:54:01 PDT 2004

On Jun 5, 2004, at 6:10 PM, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> Of course we've thoroughly discussed one-person-one-vote here before.
> I used to abbreviate it 1p1v, but opov is easier, and so I'll call say
> "opov" for "one-person-one-vote".

nitpicking: easier for you maybe. 1p1v is easier to read. "opov" sounds
like a Russian name. :-P

> Anyone can take the name of a pre-existing standard, and write a new
> meaning for it, and then use that new standard with an old name to
> judge methods by.
>
> We all agree that opov means that all the voters have the same ways of
> voting available to them, and that, for any particular way of voting,
> their votes are counted in the same way.

Speaking of "write a new meaning", I challenge that "we all agree"
statement. In a recent comment of mine, I claimed that "equal
opportunity to vote" is not the same as "equal voting power". You are
expressing "equal opportunity to vote" but I think I've seen more usage
of 1p1v as "equal voting power".

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/