[EM] Re: Approval is not one person one vote

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 5 18:11:02 PDT 2004

Of course we've thoroughly discussed one-person-one-vote here before. I used
to abbreviate it 1p1v, but opov is easier, and so I'll call say "opov" for
"one-person-one-vote".

Anyone can take the name of a pre-existing standard, and write a new meaning
for it, and then use that new standard with an old name to judge methods by.

We all agree that opov means that all the voters have the same ways of
voting available to them, and that, for any particular way of voting,  their
votes are counted in the same way.

Approval obviously meets that standard.

Some write a new definition of opov that says that everyone gets one vote
only. That's a rules criterion, as oppposed to a results criterion.

It's well-agreed here that a rules criterion means nothing unless it can be
justified in terms of a results criterion, one which can ultimatly be
justified in terms of a fundamental standard, a standard whose importance is
accepted without being justified in terms of anything else.

Last time this issue came up, I asked the opov advocates to justify opov in
terms of a widely accepted results criterion or a fundamental standard.

If opov can't be justified in that way, then opov an only be justified as a
fundamental standard--if you accept it as a fundamental standard.

A rule criterion as a fundamental standard is a rather ridiculous notion.

As I said, I asked to opov advocates to justify opov in terms of accepted
results criteria, or a fundamental standard. They never did. So I posted the
last posting in that discussion, entitled "1p1v abandoned?".

Since opov rightfully just means that every voter should have the same ways
of voting available to hir, counted in the same way for a particular way of
voting, Approval meets opov. Someone also pointed out that, in Approval, any
voter has the power to cancel out the effect of any other voter.

It seems to me that Tom Ruen and Ruillon were opov advocates then. To them,
then, I ask: You didn't answer my question then, about how you justify opov.
Can you justify it now, or is it just that you wait for a while, and then
start all over, repeating your refuted claims?

As someone ;pointed out this time (and last time too), Plurality doesn't
meet the opov-ists' opov:

When you vote, what you're actually votiing is _differences_  in support. In
Plurality the thing about your Plurality ballot that helps Kerry over Bush
is the fact that you're voting Kerry over Bush. If you'd given a vote to
both, that wouldn't help Kerry agains Bush. It's that you're giving a vote
to Kerry and not to Bush. And that's still just as true when you're only
allowed to give a vote to one candidate.

So, as was already pointed out, in Plurality you're effectively giving Kerry
a positive vote, and everyone else a negative vote. There are two levels at
which you can vote someone: Marked and unmarked. You're voting everyone but
Kerry at the unmarked level. Plurailty fails the opovists' opov.

Or are the opovists saying that you should only be able to vote one
candidate over others? Or that, at any point in the count, even if your
"favor" can transfer around, you must never have more than one candidate in
your shifting favored set? A silly, unjustifiable limitation of voting
freedom.

If voting ;power is defined so that it can vary among voters, Plurality has
more variation in voting power than Approval does.

On the occasions when we discussed this before, we, for the purposes of
discussion, defined voting power as amount by which the voter can improve
hir expectation by hir ballot, or the best expectation that s/he can get for
the benefit brought by hir ballot. I'll call that "ballot expectation".

We discussed that at great length, deriving a formula for ballot expectation
with some different rating configurations that a voter could have. If I
could just summarize it here, we agreed that voters with different rating
configurations could have different voting power in Approval and also in
Plurality. We also agreed that that voting power varies much more between
voters in Plurality than in Approval.

Voting power is more equal in Approval than in Plurality. So voting power
equalization doesn't justify the opovists' opov. When I say opov, I'm
talking about the opov promoted by those who say that each person should
have one vote, rather than merely the same ways of voting, counted in the
same way.

I posted to the Approval mailing list a demonstration of the factor by which
Plurality can make the voters' voting power vary more than Approval can.
That posting would be in the first few weeks of the Approval mailing list's
archives.

Mike Ossipoff