[EM] Pseudo-election reform in California

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 19:22:01 PDT 2004

Sure, that's the old Runoff method. Runoff is a big improvement over
Plurality, and Runoff guarantees that a CW will win if s/he comes in 1st or
2nd in the initial Plurality count.

Of course we could do better than Runoff. Approval with one balloting would
be better.

But of course there are lots of methods that would be better than Runoff.
Approval with top-2 Runoff is a method that I prefer to Runoff, but not to
ordinary 1-balloting Approval.

If we voted on candidates for an office in the same way that we vote between
mutually contradictory initiatives, that would be better than Runoff too:

We can vote Yes or No or neither for any candidate. Of the candidates who
get more Yes than No votes, the winner is the one who gets the most Yes
votes.

The strategies of Runoff Approval and Initiative Yes/No are much more
complicated than that of ordinary 1-balloting Approval. I'd prefer Approval.

Another possibility would be to have the Yes/No ballot, but count it as
-1,0,1 CR. That would have the strategy of Approval, much simpler than that
of Initiative Yes/No.

I don't know if Initiative Yes/No has important advantages. The requirement
for a candidate to get more Yes than No votes sounds good, and it certainly
suits me, because I rate the candidates acceptable and completely
unacceptable. But for people who don't rate the candidates in that way, it
isn't at all clear what it would mean to sincerely vote Yes or No for a
candidate. So it wouldn't always be sincere,  but would just be a
method-feature to be strategically used. For many voters it would just
complicate the strategy.

If Approval would meet resistance because of ilts unfamiliarity, then CR
would be a better proposal. Mention 0-10 CR and 0-100 CR. Then mention
-1,0,1 CR, which would give people the enjoyment of negative rating. Maybe
then mention 0,1 CR as an alternative. That's Approval.

You asked how we'd find the top 2 in a rank method. If we use a rank method
it should be wv Condorcet. We should find the top two by first counting the
rankings to get the 1st winner, then deleting hir from the ballots and
counting those ballots again to get a 2nd winner.

But with Condorcet wv, we don't need the runoff.

Maybe have a provision for a 2nd election if there's a circular tie, or an
all-majority-defeats circular tie. But Condorcet seems more winnable without
that. If offensive order-revesal ever becomes a problem, then people will,
at that time, be receptive to anti-reversal enhancements, including a 2nd
balloting, or the other Condorcet strategy enhancements that have been
described here.

But, to repeat, it would be good to improve the Runoff proposal to Approval,
Condorcet, some form of CR (such as -1,0,1 or 0-10 or 0-100), or even
Initiative Yes/No or Runoff Approval.

By the way, if one wanted to hold 2 ballotings with Approval, a better way
would be to do an initial Approval count, and if anyone receives a vote
total greater than half the number of voters, then s/he wins. Otherwise a
2nd Approval balloting is held, and the one with the most votes wins.

Alternatively, the 1st balloting could be a Pluralitly balloting in which
any candidate getting a majority wins. Otherwise a 2nd balloting is held by
Approval. Or, of course, MCA accomplishes that in one balloting, and maybe
MCA would be a good proposal.

Mike Ossipoff