[EM] Pseudo-election reform in California

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Tue Jun 1 11:44:33 PDT 2004

It seems clear to me that this would be worse than IRV.  IRV and this
"French/Louisiana Runoff" method are identical in that there is a
second round if there is no majority.

IRV then removes the last-place candidate.  So does French Runoff,
except that French Runoff also removes several others; all of which had
more first-place support than the IRV loser.

Since much of the flaw of IRV is that it eliminates the person with the
least first-place votes, without looking at that candidate's
down-ticket support, then eliminating *multiple* people based only on
their first-place votes only exacerbates this.  IRV is better than this
method because at least it allows a third-place candidate with greater
consensus support to have a better shot in later rounds.

(This is assuming that the plan is for all *general election
candidates* to run together in one single primary, and that if one gets
a majority, the general is skipped.  And this is assuming that this is
compared against another similar primary of all general election
candidates, counted by IRV.)

Curt