[EM] Election Calculator additions: equal rankings IRV

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Tue Jun 22 23:42:02 PDT 2004

The Election Calculator now includes three different behaviors of IRV:
duplicate a vote across choices it ranks equally ( aka "whole" )
split a vote across choices it ranks equally
disqualify a vote so long as it has a tie for first place (it can come
in in later rounds when through disqualification of choices it has a
unique first).*

http://bolson.org:8080/v/vote_form.html

I hope this helps illustrate and discover the differences between they
variations.

* I don't think this should not be done in practice. A real voting
machine should reject invalid ballots and require the voter to try
again. I included it for some sort of "completeness", and because my
front end makes no enforcement against casting tied-ranking ballots.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/