[EM] Condorcet-like Ratings-based System

bql at bolson.org bql at bolson.org
Tue Jun 22 02:10:02 PDT 2004

I was inspired by James Green-Armytage's attempts to graft rating
information onto Condorcet, and I came up with this:

  Pairwise Rating Differential Summation (PRaDS, for short, if it catches
on)

  For N choices keep a tally matrix which is N by N.
  For each pair of choices in a rated vote:
 	If choice A is rated higher than choice B, add (A's rating minus
B's rating) to the tally entry (A,B)
 	If choice B is rated higher than choice A, add (B's rating minus
A's rating) to the tally entry (B,A)
  After all votes have been tallied, if (A,B) is greater than (B,A) then A
has 'defeated' B.
  Examine all such relations and count up the defeats. The choice or
choices with the fewest defeats win.

It's Condorcet but totally rating based. Condorcet could be derived from
this by replacing the "(A's rating minus B's rating)" part with "1".

I'm not sure of all of the consequences of it, but I found the idea of it
amusing so I wanted to share it with you all. I've also added it to the
Elections Calculator:

http://bolson.org:8080/v/vote_form.html

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/