[EM] Electronic voting security

Anthony Duff anthony_duff at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 22 00:45:01 PDT 2004

Last week (~18 June 2004), I heard on US radio (National Public
Radio?), an apparent professional commenting on electronic voting and
security.  Unfortunately, I only caught about a minute of it.

This guy was commenting of some counties that have only ever has
elections that used voting machines that have never produced
receipts, ... and but receipts are going to be necessary.

He put a case for the following being the only secure way to use
computers to vote (as best as I can remember:

You use a computer to vote.  The computer then prints a scanable
ballot.  You check the printed ballot, then take it to a separte
machine where it is scanned and the ballot stored.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can provive me with, or direct me
to, an update on the current progress of this debate, and on what is
actually happening on this issue.

Anthony

http://au.movies.yahoo.com