[EM] equal rankings IRV

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sun Jun 13 03:35:01 PDT 2004

Dear Voting Gurus,

	I was encouraged to read Mike Ossipoff's statement that equal
rankings-allowed IRV, specifically the whole votes version, would be a
substantial step up from IRV, and would even be superior to approval
voting.
	I'm wondering how everyone else feels about equal rankings IRV (ER-IRV).
Really, I'm welcoming everyone to give their opinion on the matter, even
if they're just agreeing with what someone else has said. I guess you
could say I'm trying to take a poll or something.
	Once again, in the whole votes version, if I equally rank A B and C (in
first place, for example), my vote will count as a whole vote for each of
those candidates in the first round. In the fractional votes version, my
vote will count as 1/3 of a vote for each of them at first, then when one
is eliminated, 1/2 for the remaining two, and later as a single whole vote
for whoever lasts the longest.
	So, I'd like to know if everyone agrees that the whole votes version of
ER-IRV is better than the standard version of IRV where equal rankings are
not allowed. If so, how much better is it? Does it have any new
disadvantages that standard IRV doesn't have?
	Also, I'd like to know if everyone agrees that the whole votes ER-IRV is
preferable to the fractional votes version. I believe that it is, so far.
Basically, the argument is that the whole votes version reduces the
incentive for strategic order-reversal to a greater extent than the
fractional version does.
	And last, logically enough, is the fractional version substantially
better than the standard no-equal-rankings-allowed version? This may come
into play if people are worried about some one person one vote mumbo jumbo
and hence reject the superior (?) whole votes version.

	While some people have experienced an unwillingness to compromise on the
part of IRV supporters, and expect them to reject any future compromises,
hence obliviating the need for IRV compromise methods like ER-IRV... but
my opinion is that there is no harm in offering them. If they are
rejected, then nothing has been lost. I intend to personally offer such a
suggestion to IRV supporters if it can be agreed upon that the method has
merit.

best,
James