[EM] Re: Switzerland, Runoffs, and Multi-Party Systems

Steve Barney barnes99 at vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu
Fri Jul 30 13:37:38 PDT 2004

Alex:

Does Switzerland's 2 party system also extend to their other house of
parliament, the one which uses a proportional representation method?

Steve Barney
Oshkosh, WI

At 02:09 PM 7/30/2004, you wrote:
>If the Swiss do indeed use 2-step runoff this would suggest that runoff
>methods are not necessarily as conducive to 2-party systems as frequently
>claimed.  This isn't ironclad proof, of course, because Switzerland has a
>unique political culture.  The Swiss also use proportional representation
>for their other house of parliament, and we know that PR is conducive to
>multi-party systems.

Did you know there is a web site where, if you click on a button, the
advertisers there will donate 2 1/2 cups of food to feed hungry people in
places where there is a lot of starvation? See:
<http://www.thehungersite.com>.