[EM] Kerry-now-Nader-next deal could be a 2-person deal

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 29 21:37:47 PDT 2004

When I spoke of the deal in which progressives agree to vote for Kerry now,
and Nader (or whoever like him is running) next time, I described it as a
deal for all the progressives. But it could also be a deal between 2 voters.

So these are the lesser-of-2-evils solutions that I've suggested that don't
require a better voting system:

1. Nader designating, as his electors, Kerry's electors

2. Kerry-now-Nader-next deal for 2 voters

3. Kerry-now-Nader-next deal for all the progressives

4. Republican-Democrat deal for 2 voters
(Someone voting for Dem as lesser evil and someone voting for Repub as
lesser-evil agree to both vote sincerely instead)

5. Deal between progressives in swing state and non-swing state

If it's objected that a dishonest participant could make this deal with
several people, the answer to that objection is the same as the answer to
the objection that s/he could violate hir voting promise: Voting is for
principle because your vote is unlikely to affect the outcome.