[EM] Median Voter Theorem and the 50-50 Nation

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Fri Jul 30 15:28:03 PDT 2004

Hi Alex,

Well, since you've opened the can of worms, I may as well go fishing...

On Jul 30, 2004, at 3:07 PM, Alex Small wrote:
> I have no illusion that from now until the end of eternity political
> battles will always be battles over an ever-shrinking undecided
> percentage.  No doubt there will be ups and downs and realignments.
> But
> technology might enable the parties to at least prolong the periods of
> close divide.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

I actually think that the primary issue is social, though it is heavily
influenced by technology.   That is, I think you are right that each
party has found a sort of social equilibria -- adapting its core
principles just enough to stay ahead (or at least even) with the other.
   However, the root of the split is, at the end of the day, the
polarized ideologies of conservatism and liberalism that anchor the
"hard-core" base of each party, and drives politics at the local level.
  As long as both parties carry those boat anchors, I don't think either
will be able to overtake the other/reach out to the disenfranchised
middle.

That's why my personal belief is that we need what I call philosophical
reform, coupled with electoral reform, in order to truly heal partisan
politics.  I do think the sort of voter-oriented, objectively measured
discussions we have here are an important part of the process, but I
have my doubts about their ability to solve the larger political issues
on their own...

-- Ernie P.
Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D. <DrErnie at RadicalCentrism.org>
RadicalCentrism.org is a tiny little think tank near Sacramento,
California, dedicated to developing and promoting the ideals of
Reality, Character, Community and Humility as expressed in our Radical
Centrist Manifesto: Ground Rules of Civil Society
<http://RadicalCentrism.org/manifesto.html>