[EM] Reply to James, who is not James A.

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Tue Jul 27 01:08:07 PDT 2004

Mike wrote:
>When you speak in the 3rd person, you're talking to the list as a whole,
>and
>implying that you think that this matter is of interest to them. I don't
>think it is, and that's why I address this message to you instead.

	You don't think it's of interest to people, and yet you post it to the
list? Oy.

Mike wrote:
>Does it occur to you that a nonsense reply is insulting? Whether intended
>or
>not, it implies that your gibberish statements about diagrams are somehow
>like my statements about diagrams. You called it satire or humor. Satire
>is
>intended to imply that what is being satirized is actually very much like
>the satire. The satire is intended to demonstrate what it implies are
>aspects of what it satirizes.

	This definitely, definitely wasn't my intention. I enjoyed your post,
where you describe yourself explaining Condorcet's method to another
person. I had no desire to make you feel badly about it.
	So okay, you found my silly diagram post insulting even though it wasn't
intended that way at all. When you are offended by something that wasn't
intended as an insult, then I think that it's far better to respond by
politely pointing out the fact that you were offended, rather than
responding with intentional insults. It's the difference between being
productive and counter-productive. If you are unintentionally offended and
you reply with intentional insults, it's not likely to get you much
sympathy, or to have any other positive effect. If you respond politely,
then people will listen to your complaint with sympathy and try to rectify
the problem, if possible.

>Free expression: Were you one of those
>unpleasant kids whose parents encouraged him to shout in libraries, and
>cry

>& whine in supermarkets.

	Umm, nope (laughing out loud...)
	Actually, I've always been a pretty quiet person.

>You seem to expect respect, regardless of whether you disrespect others.
>Is
>that an attitude common among people with hyphenated names?

	Whenever you bring up my hyphenated name like that, it's like you're a
parody of yourself; like you're not even trying to give an appearance of
reasonableness.

Sincerely,
James