[EM] Condorcet for public proposals - IMV

Ernest Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Fri Jan 30 11:20:07 PST 2004

Hi all,

Thanks for all your input.  I've rewritten my IMV proposal to reflect
as much of the comments as I agreed with.  :-) I hope to post this on
my site next week, along with a Python implementation. The audience of
this document is primarily people who do *not* have experience in
either set theory or electoral reform.  Thus, I have tried to carefully
define my terms, and leave much of the jargon in endnotes.   However, I
do also want to be correct in the terminology I do use, so experts
(such as yourselves :-) don't get unnecessarily annoyed.

  I would welcome any further comments, as well as additional URLs to
recommend for people who want to learn more.  The name, however, is
fixed. :-)

Yours,
Ernest "I want my IMV" Prabhakar

Instant Matchup Voting:
Improving the Roots of Democracy

The Problem
Voter participation and majority rule are often considered the heart of
democracy. However, the most common form of "one person, one vote"
elections in the U.S. (usually called Plurality or First Past the Post)
implicitly assumes there are only two candidates. When there are more
than two candidates, not only is there a risk that no candidate will
get an absolute majority, but voters are faced with the dilemma between
voting 'strategically' (for the lesser of two evils) vs. voting
'sincerely' (with their conscience). This also tends to promote a
two-party system, which despite its many merits (such as the ability to
ensure governable coalitions), is vulnerable to systemic bias (as
evidenced by low voter turnout, due to a perception that neither party
offers a meaningful choice). The end result is that candidates lack a
true majoritarian mandate, due both to low voter turnout and the
possibility of a split vote.

Our Solution
To address these problems, we recommend an alternate election system
called Instant Matchup Voting [1]. Instant Matchup Voting, or IMV,
treats an election as a series of simultaneous one-on-one matchups,
like a round-robin tournament. Each voter's ballot describes the
results of one complete round of matchups between each pair of
candidates. The candidate who gets the majority of votes in all their
matchups is the winner. In the unlikely event of a tie (where no
candidate wins all their matches) the tied candidate with the fewest
votes against them wins.

The Benefits
This system allows voters to fully express their preferences among the
available candidates, and generally makes it possible for them to vote
sincerely without having to worry about strategy [3]. It also tends to
discourage mudslinging in multi-candidate elections, since there is an
incentive to have the other candidate's supporters vote you for second
or third place. Perhaps more importantly, it allows non-traditional and
third-party candidates to run without fear of becoming spoilers,
increasing the range of meaningful choices available to voters.

Instant Matchup Voting
The formal procedure for IMV has five standard phases, plus three
tiebreaking phases:

1. Votes
Each voter votes for all the candidates they like, indicating order of
preference.

Consider an example in a five-candidate election, where a voter likes A
most, B next, and C even less, but doesn't care at all for D or E. In
that case, their ballot would be ranked "A > B > C"

2. Matchups
Each ballot defines the result of matchups between all the candidates
in a election.

Thus, the ballot A > B > C would be interpreted as:
         A > B, A > C, A > D, A > E
         B > C, B > D, B > E
         C > D, C > E

3. Pairwise Matrix
The results from all the ballots is summed up in what is called a
'pairwise matrix', where the rows indicate votes -for- a candidate, and
the columns indicate votes -against- a candidate.

So, given the following results from 9 voters:
         4 votes of A > B > C (over D and E)
         3 votes of D > C > B (over A and E)
         2 votes of B > A (over C, D and E)

The pairwise matrix would be:
         A       B       C       D       E
A       -       4       6       6       6
B       5       -       6       6       9
C       3       3       -       5       7
D       3       3       3       -       3
E       0       0       0       0       -

4. Win tabulation
Using the matrix, tabulate the wins for each candidate.

For the case above, we have:
         A> C:6/3, D:6/3, E:6/0
         B> A:5/4, C:6/3, D:6/3, E:9/0
         C> D:5/3, E:7/0
         D> E:3/0
         E> -nobody-

Note: "A> D:6/3" means 6 votes for A > D vs. 3 votes for D > A

5. Majority winner
The candidate who wins all their matchups is the majority winner

In the case above, B wins all their matchups. In particular, B beats A,
since a majority of voters indicated that they prefer B over A. True,
some of those voters would ideally have preferred D or C, but since
they can't have that they're still happier with B than A. By using all
the information from every voter, IMV is one of the most efficient
forms of voting available, in terms of maximizing the wishes of the
majority.

6. First-round ties
In rare cases there may be no majority winner. [4]. In this case, we
declare a 'first round tie' (also known as a Smith Set[2]) between the
candidate with the least losses [5], and all the candidates which don't
lose to that candidate or another member of the Smith Set.

For example, consider 9 ballots of the form:
         2 votes of A > B > C (over D and E)
         4 votes of D > C > B (over A and E)
         3 votes of E > A (over B, C and D)

This gives a win table of:
         A> B:5/4, C:5/4, D:5/4
         B> E:6/2
         C> B:4/2, E:6/2
         D> B:4/2, C:4/2, E:4/3
         E> A:3/2

or, equivalently, a loss table of:
         A< E:2\3
         B< A:4\5, C:2\4, D:2\4
         C< A:4\5, D:2\4
         D< A:4\5
         E < B:2\6, C:2\6, D:3\4

Thus, A < E, E < (B, C, D), so the Smith Set is [A,B,C,D,E] - a five
way tie!

7. Tiebreaker
The tiebreaker is the member of the Smith Set who had the least number
of people voting against them.

For the example in (6), the most votes against each candidate is:
         A:3, B:5, C:5, D:5, E:6
Thus, A is the tiebreaking winner with only 3 votes against them --
though in this exceptional case they not the majority winner.

8. Second-round ties
If two or more candidates have the least number of people voting
against them (within statistical uncertainties[6]), these then form a
second-round tie. If there is no alternative mechanism available[7],
the winner is picked at random from within the second-round tie.

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D.
Founder, RadicalCentrism.org
January 30, 2004

RadicalCentrism.org is an anti-partisan think tank based near
Sacramento, California, which is seeking to develop a new paradigm of
civil society encompassing politics, economics, psychology, and
philosophy. We are dedicated to developing and promoting the ideals of
Reality, Character, Community & Humility as expressed in our Radical
Centrist Manifesto: The Ground Rules of Civil Society.

Notes
[1]
IMV is a variant of what is called Smith PC(wv) -- short for Plain
Condorcet using winning-votes within the Smith Set[2]. See
http://www.wikiepedia.org/wiki?condorcet for more details.
[2]
The Smith Set is those candidates which beat all the candidates outside
the set, but beat or tie (do not lose to) each other.
[3]
To be precise, it is mathematically impossible to have a perfect voting
system free of any strategic considerations. However, we believe Smith
PC (wv) is the simplest system that meets most of the important
criteria. More complicated tiebreaking formulas might resist strategic
manipulation better on certain occasions, but only under what we
consider extraordinary and unlikely circumstances (at least for large
public elections).
[4]
This can only happen if we have a 'rock-paper-scissors' situation (also
called a circular tie), where A beats B, and B beats C, but C beat A.
This is very unlikely in normal public elections -- since each
individual ballot requires a strict ranking among candidates -- but is
possible if, for example, a significant fraction of the population
casts ballots that don't reflect a linear Left-Right political
spectrum.
[5]
If several candidates have the maximum number of wins, pick the one
which beats the other such candidates. If there is a circular tie among
them, include them all in the Smith Set.
[6]
Voting machines and processes, like all human activities, are not
infinitely accurate. If the difference between two votes is less than
the achievable precision, it is statistically insignificant, and
therefore random. In such cases, we believe it is better to be
explicitly random than to use arbitrary criteria to create a false
level of precision. Of course, this requires having a well-established
error rate (level of uncertainty) before the election, to avoid
uncertainty about the uncertainty!
[7]
In some environments, there is an alternate mechanism available for
'true' tiebreakers. Either an alternate body (e.g., the House of
Representatives) can break the tie, or (for small groups) it may be
feasible to re-run the election and hope that the results will shift.
However, in other cases no alternate mechanism is available, but a
decision is still necessary. For these cases, we specify random choice
in order that IMV may be completely specified, especially for computer
analysis of voting methods.