[EM] Condorcet for public proposals - Tounament

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Jan 28 21:13:10 PST 2004

Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
-snip-
> On Jan 27, 2004, at 7:29 PM, Dave Ketchum wrote:
> > I like what Ernest writes, though I see a bit of room
> > for improvement and suggest "tournament" as a less
> > foreign-sounding title (even though its ancestry
> > is also French).
-snip-
> Well, tournament does have the idea of a series of matches, but not
> necessarily individual pairwise matchups, I don't think.    We could
> use the term Instant Round-Robin, which is much more explicit, but IRR
> is too close to IRV. :-(

I occasionally use the term Instant Round-Robin, but it's a
generic term for all methods that exhaustively tally all
the pairwise voted preferences, so it shouldn't be
appropriated for a particular voting method.  The same
holds for the other terms you're considering.

You could keep the "Round-Robin" and replace the "Instant"
if you're concerned about the similarity with IRV.  For
examples:

   Simultaneous Round-Robin
   Preference Order Round-Robin

By the way, I detest using terms like "defeat" and "winning
votes" when referring to pairwise majority outranking.
Those terms are misleading since a candidate ranked below
another by a majority is not really "defeated" and may
actually be the one elected.  In the social choice
literature, a common phrase for winning votes is "the size
of the supporting coalition" (or the shorter "support
size") where the term "support" is defined in the pairwise
relative sense.  May I suggest replacing "wv" with "ssc"
(size of supporting coalition) and replacing "margins" with
"ssc-soc" (size of supporting coalition minus size of
opposing coalition)?