[EM] Re: Testing 1 2 3

Dgamble997 at aol.com Dgamble997 at aol.com
Sat Jan 3 07:42:01 PST 2004

James you wrote:

>I know it is common in modelling exercises to assume that all electors vote
"the
>party ticket", but that is not what a surprising number of real electors do
in real >elections. I have looked only at the "ballot papers" for the Meath
constituency of the >2002 Dáil Éireann STV-PR election, but the voting patterns
have some major >lessons for party managers - and voting system modellers.

>There were 14 candidates for 5 seats and some 64,00 voters. The two largest
>parties (FF and FG) both put up 3 candidates; all the other parties put up
only 1; >there were also some non-party independents. FF received the most
first >preferences. About half of those first preferences went to one candidate.
But of >those who voted "1" for that candidate, only 44% voted "1", "2", "3"
for FF's three >candidates. 35% of those voters were "lost" at the second
preference and a further >21% were lost at the third preference. Of course, many of
those voters "came back" >to FF at a subsequent preference, but it does show
that the "party ticket" is a gross
>over-simplification as a model for real voter behaviour.

I reply:

 In some political cultures there is a greater tendency to vote the party
ticket than others. I have just been looking at the transfer patterns for the
Bass division of the Tasmanian House of Assembly for the 2002 state election for
the 3 largest parties. For the Labor party on each transfer of surplus/
elimination of a candidate between 83 and 90% of the votes transferred to other
Labor candidates. For the Green party between 87 and 91% of votes transferred to
continuing candidates of the same party. For the Liberal  party the figure was
90- 96%.

http://www.electoral.tas.gov.au/pages/house.htm

Also in Australian Senate elections with "above" and "below" the line voting
you can sometimes find that over 99% of a candidate's surplus transfers to
the next candidate of the same party.

http://psephos.adam-carr.net/countries/a/australia/1993/vic-1993.txt

David Gamble