[EM] Re: [Fwd: Election-methods digest, Vol 1 #520 - 13 msgs]

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Sun Feb 29 04:04:01 PST 2004

Hallo,

my favorite formulation of Arrow's Theorem is Pattanaik and Peleg's
formulation (Prasanta K. Pattanaik, Bezalel Peleg, "Distribution of
Power Under Stochastic Social Choice Rules," Econometrica, vol. 54,
p. 909-921, 1986). In their formulation, this theorem says that
there is no rank method that is non-dictatorial and satisfies Pareto
and regularity. "Regularity" says that adding candidate Z should
not increase the probability that candidate A (with A <> Z) is
elected.

Ken Johnson wrote (29 Feb 2004):
> I wish someone would put this issue to rest once and for all: Is CR
> (or Approval) an "ideal" voting method according to Arrow's criteria
> or is it not? If it is, then the "Arrow proved ..." assertion is
> patently false and should be recognized as such. Although Arrow
> limited his analysis to ranked preference methods, it certainly
> makes sense to ask the question in the broader context of CR and
> Approval, and I'd like to see some clarification on this issue.

There are many possible interpretations of Arrow's Theorem. A possible
interpretation is: Arrow restricts his considerations to paretian
non-dictatorial rank methods because he considers other election
methods to be quite unacceptable. The fact that Arrow's favorite
election method (the so-called "Arrow-Raynaud method"; Kenneth
Joseph Arrow, Herve Raynaud, "Social Choice and Multicriterion
Decision-Making", MIT Press, 1986) is a paretian non-dictatorial
rank method supports this interpretation.

Markus Schulze