CR == Approval? Re: [EM] Re: Election-methods digest, Vol 1 #517 - 3 msgs

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Fri Feb 27 10:36:21 PST 2004

Ernest Prabhakar wrote:

>For a longer version, I'd say:
>         "The optimal strategy for CR is equivalent to that for Approval,
>         but in situations with detailed information and large voting power
>         the effective strategies might differ."

It's actually the combination of large voting power and UNCERTAINTY that
can produce divergent CR and approval strategies.  Granted, it's a very
specific sort of uncertainty, but I don't think the term "detailed
information" captures the situation effectively.

Also, in this situation I don't think it's fair to say that optimal CR
strategy is equivalent to approval strategy.  In the example you made, how
can anything other than 5-3-1 be considered optimal?

-Adam