[EM] Ignorance

Ma Anguo maanguo at giga.net.tw
Fri Feb 27 01:33:01 PST 2004

On Friday 27 Feb 2004 12:25 pm, Steve Eppley wrote:
> The argument that the winner was much better than the
> rest only explains why there was a Condorcet winner (an
> alternative such that, for each of the other
> alternatives, some majority ranks it over the other).  It
> doesn't explain why there weren't any cycles among the
> lesser alternatives.

Ooops, Once again I have shown my ignorance in such matters.
:-)
Thank you Steve for correcting me.

Speaking of ignorance, a couple of weeks ago I wrote to this
list asking for your help especially in regard to some
theories that are behind the decisions I have made when
developping the site.

The only help I received was in the form of welcome
criticism behind the theoretical choices behind my
decisions which were made, again, out of ignorance.
My reply is currently available online:
http://www.masquilier.org/republic/election/solution.php

I haven't yet received a definite answer in this matter and
I am asking you again to enlighten me.

The board I am developing has its origin in this discussion
thread:
http://forums.zynot.org/viewtopic.php?t=56
In it, Charun argues vehemently that for Condorcet to retain
its validity/superiority, all the candidates must be
strictly ranked from the first to the last.
That's how I coded the board at first and that's also the
reason why I wrote my "solution" page.
Then, a few people from this list told me I was wrong, but
then I asked: are there two school of thoughts, the experts
being of different opinions or on the contrary, nobody but
the poster mentionned above has ever claimed that condorcet
must rank candidates in a strict manner.
To see the difference, you can try to create two polls in my
site, one using each type of condorcet. Try then casting
ballots in each with candidates having the same rank. One
type will refuse it.
I have not found definite answer on the web nor got any from
the members of this list.

So I unashamedly ask again for your help: does it make any
sense for me to carry on supporting the "full ranking"
condorcet option in the board code base as well as in the
documentation I am working on?

Remember that what I am trying to create is an educative and
fun and easy to use tool for getting a wider public
acquainted with condorcet and approval. A better public
understanding is our only hope to see plurality superceded
by better voting options.

My hope is that the list members and the different condorcet
sites webmasters can cooperate toward the same goal.

I rely, now as much as before, on your help and good will to
get the message across to a larger audience.

yours,

Augustin.

--
www.masquilier.org
Condorcet, Approval alternative voting.

In order to prevent people from receiving viruses
that would seem to originate from my email,
if you use Microsoft Windows you do not have permission
to add this address to your address book.
If I am in your address book, please remove me.
Of course, this does not apply to GNU/Linux users.
Thank you.