CR == Approval? Re: [EM] Re: Election-methods digest, Vol 1 #517 - 3 msgs

Ernest Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Thu Feb 26 08:56:02 PST 2004

On Feb 26, 2004, at 5:46 AM, Adam Tarr wrote:
> Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
>> However, it seems like there can well be extreme cases, due to either
>> detailed information or sub-optimal strategic behavior by opponents,
>> where a different strategy would actually be more -effective-
>> (optimal doesn't mean perfect).   Thus, in those cases, the most
>> effective strategy for CR would not be precisely identical to
>> Approval, simply because the scenarios are slightly different.
>
> "It seems like" is not very convincing.  Providing an example of such
> a case would be more convincing.

I was more suggesting than trying to convince, but I suppose I can
provide an example.  Suppose the election is CR with three candidates
(A, B,C) who must be ranked from 1 to 5.   Let us say that based on the
information that Voter X has, the likely ranking by other voters will
end up being either:

(I) 40% chance: