[EM] electoral methods - US and Europe

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at uusikaupunki.fi
Tue Feb 24 06:42:11 PST 2004

The Hare quota is unsound if you use it with STV, because it can give
an unproportional result. The link discusses only the Hare quota with
STV.

Sainte-Laguë does not favour smaller parties, it's neutral in this
respect. If you compare it with d'Hondt, it looks as if it favours
small parties because d'Hondt favours big parties. The only problem
with Sainte-Laguë is that it can give the majority of the seats to a
minority of the voters, if they manage to split in a nice way and the
votes are almost equal. This is probably no problem in public
elections, but it may be in committee elections when the parties can
count the votes before elections.

Sainte-Laguë has recently been adopted in Bremen and a biproportional
version is being adopted in Zürich.

Olli Salmi