[EM] poll fever

Gervase Lam gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 00:16:02 PST 2004

> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:12:09 -0800
> From: James Green-Armytage
> Subject: [EM] poll fever

> I'd suggest that we give the candidates cardinal ratings from one to a
> hundred too, but I guess that may as well be optional, since I don't
> want to make this any more complicated than it is already. I'm talking
> about *sincere* cardinal ratings, if we can do that; I'd be interested
> to see how the CR results match up with the other results.

I think having CR is a very good idea.  From CR you can easily get
cardinal utilities.  As result, it would add something extra with regards
to the analysis of the results.  You can obviously get the rankings from
the CRs.

I would suggest having a CR scale of 0 to 10 and no more, with only whole
number ratings being allowed.  The reason I say this is because it is what
most people are used to (i.e. mark each candidate out of 10).  Also it is
due to a post I remember seeing a while back about the how much humans can
categorise things:

<http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2001-September/006624.html>

The fact that the whole number 0 to 10 CR ballot will be converted
directly into a ranked ballot will at least discourage voters from voting
just at extremes of the CR scale.

Also, in order to elicit more sincere CRs, may be the method that Kevin
Venzke came up with late September last year could be used:

<http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2003-September/010975.html>

The way the method processes each ballot means that you don't seem to gain
very much from giving it insincere CRs.  So you therefore might as well
give it sincere CRs.

There was also a thread between Kevin and Forest with regards to the
method about cut-off points and always approving/disapproving the
highest/lowest cardinally rated candidates regardless of anything that
happens:

<http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2003-September/011008.html>

Thanks,
Gervase.