[EM] Voter Space Borda (VSB)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Feb 5 12:08:02 PST 2004

Here's another example of Voter Space Borda:

Start with the ballot set

x A>B>C
y B>C>A
z C>A>B

Assume that x>y, x>z, and that (x+y)>z, so that the three candidates A, B,
and C form a "Condorcet Cycle."

Condorcet would break the cycle at its weakest link (C beats A by only y+z
votes) making A the winner.

By way of contrast, plain Borda picks B when y > (x+z)/2 .

However, as we shall see, Voter Space Borda agrees with Condorcet:

Projecting this election into voter space we get x ballots of type
a1=a2=...=ax>b1=...=by>c1=...=cz, which we abbreviate as A^x>B^y>C^z.
Making use of similar abbreviations, we have the following voter space
ballot set:

x A^x>B^y>C^z
y B^y>C^z>A^x
z C^z>A^x>B^y

Applying the rules of Borda to this election we see that each of the A
voters gets a (relative) Borda score of x*(y+z)+z*y-y*(y+z)-z*z which
simplifies to a = x*(y+z)-y*y-z*z. Similarly each B voter gets a Borda
score of b = y*(x+z)-x*x-z*z, and each C voter gets a Borda score of c =
z*(x+y)-x*x-y*y.

The differences (a-b) and (a-c) simplify to

(a-b) = (x-y)*(x+y+z)  and  (x-z)*(x+y+z), respectively,

which are both positive since x>y and x>z.

So the A voters are tied with the highest Borda scores, and their ballots
elect A in agreement with Condorcet.

In all of the examples that I have given so far Voter Space Borda has
agreed with Condorcet.

However, it is easy to see that Voter Space Borda does not comply with the
Condorcet Criterion, since the Voter Space Borda winner has to be the
favorite on at least one ballot, whereas in some elections the CW may not
be ranked first on any ballot.

Some members of this EM listserv have advocated an ad hoc quota of first
place votes to help eliminate "weak CW's."  Perhaps Voter Space Borda
would please these members as a more natural "seamless" way of handling
the "weak CW" problem.

Forest