[EM] Extremely simple voting for committee

Gervase Lam gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 17:20:03 PST 2004

> From: "James Gilmour"
> Subject: RE: [EM] Extremely simple voting for committee
> Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:30:24 -0000

> It seems
> to me to be a simple "Yes" / "No" ballot.  "I accept the Committee as it
> stands" or "I do not accept the Committee as it stands". (What happens
> if the majority of those who vote do not ratify the committee might be
> very interesting!)

What happens is that 'elections' take place.  I didn't read the whats,
wherefores and hows of the this Yes/No vote properly.  It didn't mention
how the 'elections' are going to work.  This is where I am trying to come
in!

Also, some (or all!!) of the details I mentioned in my original post are
wrong.  Using electorial terminology, each seat on the Committee is for
one "region" (i.e. company department), which to me is fair enough.

I don't think the Manager seat is up for grabs.  Even if it was, because
there seems to be very few candidates for this and together with the fact
that some won't want to spend time with the committee, I don't think it's
worthwhile persuing strongly for this single seat being up for election.

In fact, it would not surprise me if the small group of managers just put
forward one candidate by consensus if there were to be a vote.  They are
amiable enough.  I don't have anything against them.

Anyway, the details may change again from other employees responding in
the comments section of the ballot.  The basic question I asked was
whether there were any simple improvements that could made to the
proposals I made for voting in the committee members with the very tight
constraints I expect there to be.  I am satisfied that the answer seems to
be no.

I should be able to wing it from here on in, though I may come back for
advice.  Thanks to those who replied!

Gervase.